Let me start by saying my kids are PICKY eaters. As in my daughter will not open her mouth if I try to get her to eat something foreign to her (including any kind of meat) so I have to be creative and make “snacks” that are both nutritious and delicious! I can’t even remember where I found this recipe but it is one we go to regularly. It takes 5 minutes to prep, 16-18 minutes of baking and voila healthy snacks for my picky eaters:) let me know in the comments below if you want any more BLW ideas or recipes I would love to share! These are great for lunch , for a snack on the road and my entire family enjoys them, even my husband who is pickier than my kiddos!!
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce (any brand will do)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 Tablespoons butter , melted
- 1/2 cup of organic honey (any brand) you can also replace this with sugar if you don’t want sugar free
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon or nutmeg (I prefer to mix them both)
1) preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line or lightly grease a 12 cup muffin tray and set aside
Step 2) In a large bowl, combine the oats, applesauce, milk, egg, vanilla, honey, and butter.
Step 3) fold in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon/nutmeg
Step 4) pour batter evenly into the muffin tin
Step 5) bake for 16-18 minutes or until muffins are cooked through (* I check with a toothpick) do not overcook or they will be dry!
Step 6) remove to a cooling rack and serve when cool. I add jam on top as a treat for my kiddos but feel free to add whichever toppings you like!
You can also double the recipe and make extras to freeze just freeze them in a ziplock bag when cool! Let me know how they turned out in the comments below ❤️